Author Topic: The Greasy Greens  (Read 3852 times)

doronron

The Greasy Greens
« on: March 04, 2004, 10:41:26 PM »
Big Al said one of the pickoids was asking about a band I might play with. Al suggested I might like to post a topic about who the band is, ect. Also if we have a scheduled appearance I could post it on our calendar. Thanks, Al. So here goes.

I play with a couple of groups. One is informal, old friends, mostly acoustic, and gathers up once or twice a month. Sometimes called "Studio B" (and sometimes not), it's not unlike the Pickoids except Steely Dan and Muddy Waters show up along with Hank Williams and Hot Rize.

The band I play with most in public is The Greasy Greens. The Greens started playing in the mid-70's. The band plays mostly events. The past few years have included private parties, fund raisers, weddings, the Eureka Springs Folk Festival, Valentines in Eureka Spring, the Louis Jordan Choo Choo Cha' Boogie Festival in Brinkley,and Riverfest.

We are playing this Sunday for a party following the LR Marathon at the Women's City Club at 4th and Scott. The event is primarily for runners and their guests. However a limited number (so come early) of tickets are available to the public at the door for $10 or $15.  (I've heard both figures). Food and drink included. We play from 6-8 p.m. Doors open at 5:30.    

On Sunday the Greens will have a cast of a dozen or so and include three or four horns, a  guitar or two, bass, piano, ukulele, squeezebox, mandolin, lap steel, nose flute, assorted percussion and a few in the band that just sing. It's jump swing with cowboy, jugband, cajun zydeco, blues, and Tin Pan Alley thrown in. At worst it's fun. At best it's Hey! We should do this more often!

Come take a look Sunday! See http://www.littlerockmarathon.com/party.php3 for more info.

Ron Hughes (aka doronron)