Author Topic: Favorite local bluegrass pickers and fiddlers?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline doronron

• View Profile
Favorite local bluegrass pickers and fiddlers?
« on: August 14, 2003, 12:15:43 PM »
I'm new to the forum. I joined to find out who around town plays bluegrass music and hopefully get a chanc to play some myself. So far, I've had the pleasure of two gettogethers in the past two weeks and its been great fun (and worth the fuzzy morning after).

You all must  get arond and hear more bluegrass than I've had a chance to and I'm curious who you would pick as your favorite local players to listen to or who you'd vote as the "best" local picker or player of guitar, banjo, mandolin, bass, and fiddle. I say "best" or "favorite to listen to", because they may be different. I'd also be interested in hearing what local bluegrass/country bands we all like most. Any favorite original songs by local players that you like to hear?  And of course, why? Style? Fun? Proficiency? Variety of music, etc.

And in the grand, inclusive tradition of pickoids, these could be either nobodies or somebodies.

Hope this generates some discussion! Stay tuned.
"It's ok to look back, but don't stare."
Ram Das

Offline flaggpond

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 01:46:06 PM »
Well-l-l-l bluegrass 'bythe Mark' and something blue is said to be pretty good.
My favorite local folk singer is Ray Gun but he's moved off to Caroline so we
only get a rare live performance. Mick da pick is bout as good as they come
locally if finger pickin' is your thing. Come to the Rackensack show on the 23rd
and see some more of my favorites. I, myself, and me will be doing a couple
of old folk songs one accompanied by Brode Morgan on fiddle and the other
accompanied by Gene Bracher on five string folk banjo (not b.g.) in Bm Dock
Boggs style.

Charlie@flaggpond

Offline Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Lasley - Balding Amateur Astronomer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 09:10:03 PM »
hmmm, local scene b'grassers...

Of course Mark and the Somethin' Blue gang are up there.  The Old School is a long standing favorite.  Though I haven't seem them perform in a while the Toad Suck Symphony stands out in my mind.  Course that could just be that grassed up version of Purple Haze they stuck forever in my mind.  Faril Simpson and the boys show up ocassionally and put on a great show (and tell great stories).  I'm sure I'm missing a scad of groups but that's all that came to mind at the moment...

-Chris

...and Mick the Pick gets my vote too for most versatile picker around...b'grass, folk, blues, somba - you name it an the man can toss it out in wonderous form...obviously virture of a misspent youth  ^_^  

Offline BigA

• Administrator
  • Check the calendar for the location of the Jam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 11:59:52 AM »
And of course there is the talent list:

Lyle Dent - a super Fiddler and banjo player.
John Thaden  - a world class Harmonica player
Mick Rigby - the best finger picker I know.
Dr. David Nelson - Super guitar picker especially good on lead
New member Bob ( don't know his last name) but I heard him pick for the first time a couple of sessions ago and he is the best flatpicker I have heard.
Charley Teas - Folk music writer and singer ...nobody else has such a voice, so sad and so much feeling. Such wonderful songs.
Coffee House Fred... is a premo Folk singer with a sense of houmor that comes thru in his songs as well as a great stage presence. Super songs.
Suzzanne Wilson - Has an incredible voice , teaches voice, and can take your song to a new level if she backs you up. Not to mention her wonderful songs.
Mark Hammonds - Best Male voice for purity and range. Can sing anything well.

All of these Nobodies are a notch above in their area.

I am blessed to have these Nobodies coming over to the Palace.

My apologies for leaving out some of you like the Well known Brian that won the Arkasas music deal in Conway ...damn he should have been first for that effort.

Then are the new guys I don't know too well yet who should be on this list.... Like John(don't his last name either) who sounded like he had spent a year with Neil Young.

Where do I stop without offending someone? Just let me know and I will reply again including my omission.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 12:09:12 PM by BigA »

mhammons

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 08:14:49 PM »
Well, it's nice to be mentioned.  I do play in a band called Somethin' Blue.  I've been with the band for over a year now, and I think we've steadily gotten better.  My flatpicking leaves much to be desired, but I bang out a good G-run every now and then.  We've recently added a new member, a fiddle player named Mark Babb from White Hall.  He is an excellent fiddle player and adds to our sound tremendously.  This guy has a terrific ear and everything he plays is an an enhancement.

We've got 3 gigs next weekend, 9/6-9/7.  On Saturday afternoon, we're playing in Sheridan at some church for some kind of senior citizen deal.  Then Saturday night, again in Sheridan at the Community Center for a Children's Hospital benefit show.  Then on Sunday afternoon, we're playing at the KSSN radio listener appreciation party at the Clear Channel Metroplex on Colonel Glenn in Little Rock.  We are a local finalist again this year for the Colgate Country Showdown,  so we get to do one song as part of the talent competition.  We have a copyrighted original song to do this year, so that will help us in the judging.  The lady who called us back this year said we were pretty close in the decision last year, so maybe we can win the thing this time.  Check out www.KSSN.com for the details.

Alright, enough shameless self-promotion.