Author Topic: Recording at the Palace  (Read 3511 times)

Offline BigA

• Administrator
  • Check the calendar for the location of the Jam
    • View Profile
Recording at the Palace
« on: September 03, 2003, 09:51:01 AM »

I have been having problems recording clear cuts. I am getting some electrical static occsionally.  I can't pin it to anyone stepping on mic wires and I would not think it was caused by some listening thru the headphones and moving around.

I have even considered whether a cell phone next to the mixer might cause this static. Then it might be something else entirely.

Anyway does anyone out there with more knowledge know what the cause of this might be?

Big A

mhammons

Recording at the Palace
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 11:16:21 AM »
Big A,

Are you hearing static during peaks or at just random times?  If the noise is occuring during peaks, I would suspect that it's some kind of clipping distortion caused by overloading either the mixer or your recording medium (VCR).  You should try to set the mixer so the loudest sound only occasionally gets into the yellow.  If you're getting reds on the meter, that's too high.  Conversely, if you're getting no lights at all or just barely in the green, that's probably not high enough.

Which brings me to what I suspect is the real source of the problem - overloading the line inputs on the VCR.  You have no way of adjusting or monitoring recording level on that VCR.  The only way you'll be able to find the right input level is by doing lots of experimenting with the setup.  Like it or not, your VCR is not designed to record live music.  It's designed to take a line-level audio signal from another source component, a signal level that's pretty much standardized among audio components.

Think about it this way:  if you were recording to something like a cassette deck, if the signal were a little hot, you could dial the recording level down a bit, or up if the signal wasn't strong enough.  You just don't have that ability with a VCR, and you have no way of knowing whether the signal was too weak or too strong until you play it back - and by then it's too late.

I think you might be better off running the mixer straight into your computer and just recording uncompressed digital audio (wav file).  This is assuming you have a big enough hard disk to capture a couple of hours of music - I'm guessing less than 5 gigs would be needed for a session.  Then you could chop it up and burn it to CD's and throw out what you don't need.  Anyway, at least you'd be able to monitor and adjust the recording level in the software.

I really do not believe the noise is in the mics or the mixer.  When I was there, I was listening on the 'phones and I didn't hear anything - if the noise is on the signal or in the mixer, you should hear it in the headphones in real time.  I think you need to focus on what's going on downstream of the mixer.

I remember a few years ago, before digital recording and computers were as fast and cheap as they are now, a few people did recommend recording to stereo VCR as a means of getting higher fidelity than cassette tape (wider tape - wider audio tracks - faster speed).  However, some of the earlier stereo VCRS had audio level meters to monitor the input signal - I know, 'cause I've seen some that have it.  Also, methinks some of the earlier VCRs were higher quality, at least in terms of build quality and components, than they are now.  They've become disposable - you can get all the VCR you need for $59 at Best Buy.  Who repairs something like that?  If it breaks, and it will, you throw it out and buy a new one.  Not much market for VCR repairmen these days.  15 years ago, when your VCR broke, you freaking had it FIXED, ya know?    ;)

Where am I going with all this - I forgot.  Oh yeah, try recording straight to your computer if possible.  If not, spend $100 on a portable minidisc recorder (yes, they're that cheap now) and all will be right with the world.  I know you already spent some bread on the mics, mixer, stands, and cables,  :unsure: but there's still one thing standing in the way of what you want to do, so you've just got to make what you have work (lots of experimentation required, frustrating results so far) or do it another way. B)

One other thing - ain't no cell phone did it.   :blink:  

Offline BigA

• Administrator
  • Check the calendar for the location of the Jam
    • View Profile
Recording at the Palace
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:47:41 AM »
Mark,

Listen to the CD and tell me what you think that static is caused by

thanks

Big A