Author Topic: New World Pickin' Record - Luckenback Texas  (Read 2142 times)

AQuittner

New World Pickin' Record - Luckenback Texas
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »
Yesterday I was lucky to be part of a crowd of guitar pickers in Luckenback, Texas.  We gathered there to raise money for the Welcome Home Public Charity (assists veterans with closed head injuries) and to attempt to take away the German's world record for the number of pickers, picking the same song at the same time and place.  WE DID IT!!

1,859 guitar players, of all ages and guitar types, got together and played what we call the Luckenback Song (really, Waylon's Getting Back to the Basics of Love),  then we broke our own record by singing and playing Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land (for nearly ten minutes - so the record is 1,859 guitar players, playing for just under 10 minutes - I don't know the "official" time).

It was a great affair.  Lots of families, I saw one kid, aged 5, playing his 1/4 size guitar - and he could play chords!!  It's what life is all about - and we raised some $25,000!!  I've attached a picture of "part" of the crowd.  The second picture came from the San Antonio Express News - it's a better shot of the crowd.

It was a hot time on a cool day - it only reached 102 at the time we were pickin!!

Andy Q
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:52:59 PM by AQuittner »