Author Topic: advice/suggestions requested  (Read 5109 times)

Offline don the thumb

• "wannabe" Travis-picker
    • View Profile
advice/suggestions requested
« on: December 06, 2003, 11:25:28 AM »
A friend has a friend who has a Martin D-28 he wants to sell.  All I know is that it's an'85 model with factory hardshell case. Supposedly not a scratch on it, and perfect.   I believe it has matched rosewood back and factory pickup. Would any of you have an idea==particularly those who know my level and style of playing== whether that might be a good choice?  I think he's asking about $1100. I've been thinking of grading up a bit. Thanks, Don

Offline Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Lasley - Balding Amateur Astronomer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 02:05:19 PM »
Don,

A D-28 is a certainly a sweet guitar.  Big A has a D-35 and I believe a D-28.  You might noodle on one of his one Wednesday evening to see how it 'fits'.

Have you considered a 00 or 000 body guitar?  To me these seem to be more 'finger-style' oriented than the drednaughts.  If you're getting the itch for a new axe my suggestion is to make the rounds and play em all - usually one will 'speak' to you.

Just one pickoids opinion...

-Chris

Offline BigA

• Administrator
  • Check the calendar for the location of the Jam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 04:05:21 PM »
Don... I do have both a d-35 and a d-28. I bought the D-35 and the d-28 belonged to my brother. The D-35 plays real fast and has an enhanced bass response. this makes it pretty good for sing and playing alone.

The D-28 is a little harder to play but has a most beautiful tone. It's greatest response sound wise is in the mid to treble range. The "B" strng for example is the loudest. It has an incredible sound when played up on the upper parts of the fret board.

Recently I have taken to tuning the d-28 down to an open "D" and I think it sounds really good when played with a glass slide.

Big A